Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lime Tart

I just made a delicious tart! Teehee all of this Harry Potter reading is making me feel British, but I digress, the tart was really easy to make and only took about 30 minutes max and the cleanup was not bad at all, and this is coming from someone who loves to cook but hates cleaning so I just avoid cooking. After I made this I thought about how good it would be to put 1/4 cup of toasted coconut in the crust or bake in a surprise jam bottom between the crust and custard... mmm.

I tried to make it look pretty…
Ingredients:
7 Tablespoons Butter
1 1/2 Cups Crushed Graham Crackers
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Milk
5 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cherry Vodka
3 Egg Yolks
1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
1 Tablespoon Flour
1/2 Lime

Directions:
Crust: Preheat the oven to 350º in a small saucepan melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add graham crackers and powdered sugar, mix until even in consistency. Put into a 8 or 9 inch pie pan (or spring form pan if you want it to look extra nice) and using the back of a measuring cup compact the crust and push it up the sides. I forgot to time how long I put it in the oven but I pulled it out when my kitchen smelled like graham crackers probably 7-10 minutes. Then put on cooling rack to cool

Filling: In the same saucepan (no graham cracker crumbs please!) put in 1 cup of milk 1/4 cup of sugar and the zest of half of the lime (make sure there is no rind or things will turn very bitter very quickly) bring to a boil. In a small mixing bowl put in 3 egg yolks and the remaining sugar and mix until thick, then add the cornstarch and flour, mix until well blended. Then add the boiling milk stirring constantly so you don't make your custard into scrambled eggs (I've done it) then strain back into the pan. Bring mixture to 160º and add in lime juice and vodka (I used my grandma's homemade) and dump into the crust and put in the fridge until chilled.


(Custard Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?